Plex Study: Innovation Fueled by Connected Manufacturing
The Industrial Internet of Things is Driving Manufacturing Innovation, Collaboration and Productivity
TROY, MICH., Oct. 26, 2016 – Plex Systems, the leader in cloud ERP for manufacturing, today announced the results of its annual survey examining the use of technology by leading manufacturers. The 2016 Plex State of Manufacturing Technology study provides real-world insight from nearly 200 manufacturing organizations that are using technology today to meet the demands of customers, drive product innovation and improve operational efficiency.
Among the key findings:
Cloud technology improves manufacturers’ ability to manage changing business needs. With the cloud, manufacturers connect the plant floor with the top floor, providing everyone access to one version of real-time data. By connecting manufacturing operations to the cloud,
- 64 percent of respondents better managed fluctuating customer demands
- 55 percent achieved stronger management of their global supply chain
- 48 percent found introducing new products was easier for them to manage
- 98 percent noted that connectivity to systems, machines, suppliers and customers delivers value to their business today
Consumer technology is making plant floor connectivity easy and affordable: Plant floor mobile solutions have historically been limited to expensive, proprietary, ruggedized devices. Affordable consumer mobile products, combined with cloud connectivity, make it easy for manufacturers to connect people and systems throughout the plant. As a result,
- 64 percent of respondents are using consumer tablets on the plant floor
- 10 percent have decreased the use of laptops
- Respondents noted significant growth in their deployment of iOS devices (up 9 percent year-over-year; 70 percent total) and Android devices (up 24 percent year-over-year; 56 percent total)
The full report is available at www.plex.com: http://www.plex.com/resources/white-paper/state-of-manufacturing-technology-2016.html
Plex is the Manufacturing Cloud, delivering industry-leading ERP and manufacturing automation to more than 500 companies across process and discrete industries. Plex pioneered Cloud solutions for the shop floor, connecting suppliers, machines, people, systems and customers with capabilities that are easy to configure, deliver continuous innovation and reduce IT costs. With insight that starts on the production line, Plex helps companies see and understand every aspect of their business ecosystems, enabling them to lead in an ever-changing market. Learn more at www.plex.com.
Manager, Corporate Communications